Wednesday 9 September 2015

The MAC Matte Lip Collection: Antique Velvet (Review and Swatch)

After resigning myself to the fact that I have to face up to my new adult responsibilities (money, work, rent - help!) and therefore cannot go to Bestival this year, I decided to console myself by treating myself to a few of the shades from the new MAC Matte Lip Collection. Originally, I had planned to review all the shades I have in one post but have since decided it would be much more helpful to talk about each one individually, and first up we have Antique Velvet. I had been eyeing up Film Noir, another MAC offering, for quite sometime now, but held off buying it because it seemed the wrong time of year for a dark brown shade, and I'm glad I did as MAC have since brought out a very similar shade but in a matte formula, my personal favourite.


MAC Antique Velvet LipstickMAC Lipstick Packaging


As can be seen, Antique Velvet is a rich dark brown with reddish undertones. The forumla is matte which I think is the best type for bold colours as it extends their longevity and keeps things from getting too messy and smudged throughout the day. I must admit I did find the initial application a little difficult, although this is mainly due to the fact I don't have a matching lip liner (adding on to the wishlist) so I had to first go in with a lip brush to line the edges of my lips and then go in carefully with the actual lipstick afterwards. When applying in this way it does allow you to build up the colour, so if you want you can wear it as just a wash of colour, although I like to wear it more intensely as can be seen in the below photos.


MAC Antique Velvet Lipstick Lip Swatch Close upMAC Antique Velvet Lipstick Lip Swatch

Apologies for the awkward pictures, it's surprisingly difficult to take a close up photo of your own mouth, but hopefully you can see what a lovely colour this lipstick is. It's definitely one of the more daring colours that I own but I think it makes for the perfect statement lip for autumn, being a nice change from the usual vampy reds and purples seen around this time of year. This colour does tend to wash me out a little but with a little bit of blush or bronzer that can be easily rectified. The staying power is pretty good, I wore this for several hours and only needed to reapply after eating lunch (ramen definitely wasn't a wise choice). It's also incredibly comfortable for a matte lipstick, I didn't find it to be drying on my lips at all which can often be a problem for me. Ultimately, I love this lipstick and highly recommend for anyone to get their hands on it, I think it would suit so many different skin tones and be the perfect colour for the coming months. Priced at £15.50 you can pick it up now from MAC counters or online, although I had to go with the latter as I found it was sold out everywhere when I tried to buy it in store, clearly a popular shade!

What do you think of this colour? Would you personally wear it? Let me know your opinions in the comments!

Jess
x

2 comments:

  1. OH even I've been eyeing up antique velvet but had to go for film noir do to lack of availability

    P.S. you really look pretty

    ReplyDelete