Wednesday 23 September 2015

The Mac Matte Lip: Heroine (Review and Swatch)

Other than the classic red lip I generally tend to stay away from bright lip colours, but something about MAC's Heroine lured me in and it has now joined my ever growing collection of MAC lipsticks. Heroine is a bright purple matte shade, and as I've stated in previous posts this is my favourite formula, especially when it comes to bright and bold colours. Heroine has been around for quite sometime now, with it initially being part of different limited edition collections, but it was when it was recently added to the matte lip collection that I decided to finally break out of my comfort zone and try it out.

MAC Matte Lip Collection Heroine Lipstick Packaging

Simply described on the MAC website as a 'bright purple' that would certainly seem true from these photos, however I actually find this to have a hint of pink to it that my impressive phone photography hasn't picked up.  Application was slightly tricky as is always the case when applying a bold colour sans lip liner, however again I found using a lip brush helped things along. MAC do actually offer a matching lip liner that I am keen to try out but I'm not sure I can currently justify the purchase... In terms of how it wears, again like all MAC matte colours it is surprisingly comfortable and doesn't feel drying at all, when first applied it does in fact have a slight sheen to it which then dries down into a more traditional matte finish. I find it to last fairly well and when it does begin to fade it actually looks quite nice as it becomes a more muted pinky/purple shade rather than just a patchy version of what it once was, which I've found to be the case with some other shades.

MAC Matte Lip Collection Heroine Lipstick Lip Swatch


Heroine is definitely a statement colour that creates a makeup look all on its own, but I also think it works well paired with a variety of different eye makeup looks. I've particularly liked pairing it with taupey/bronzey shadows for an evening look as we draw into autumn, but also think it will work nicely with more gold and coppery tones if you prefer a warmer look. From other photos and reviews I've come across this colour seems to suit so many different skin tones and is universally flattering, I really like how it brings out the colour of blue eyes. Heroine is available now as part of the permanent collection both in store and online and is priced at £15.50 as all the shades are. If you're looking for a bright statement colour that's a bit different from the usual reds and pinks I highly recommend this one!

Jess
x

No comments:

Post a Comment